Phone: (519) 822-1260 ext. 2192
Water SCADA & Security Specialist
City of Guelph Water Services
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Graham Nasby is an industry-recognized leader in the water/wastewater community for his efforts with DCS/SCADA systems, standards development, raising cybersecurity awareness, and alarm management. Through his work with the International Society of Automation (ISA) and IEC, he has coauthored international standards in alarm management, cyber security, and HMI (human machine interface) design. He has also worked with the ISA, American Waterworks Association, Water Environment Federation, and other industry groups to author numerous articles on SCADA best practices, led the annual ISA Water/Wastewater and Automatic Controls Symposium, and contributed to other industry events.
As a project manager and technical leader, Graham works at the forefront of the Automation, Controls, and Instrumentation community. He is frequently sought to author opinion articles for industry publications, including InTech, Chemical Engineering Progress, and Control Engineering, and to speak at conferences and universities. In addition to having exceptional skills in technical writing and presentation delivery, Graham excels at user needs assessment and project management. Graham has a solid background in system integration, construction management, control systems engineering, electrical design, software development, and user interface design. At present, Graham is responsible for the long-term planning, design, construction/implementation, and commissioning of the automated control systems for the City of Guelph Waterworks. Before he joined the city, he worked as a consulting engineer where he led his company’s business portfolio of Alarm Management for SCADA, DCS, and PLC systems. Prior to working in the municipal sector, Graham did project management, design, and commissioning/validation work in the pharmaceutical/biotech industries.
Graham was the 2012 & 2013 general symposium chair for the ISA WWAC symposium.
Recent Papers, Articles & Publications
- “Workforce Development: It’s a Team Effort.” Nasby, G. (2014) .ISA InTech, Aug/Sept 2014. p. 46 (link)
- “The Final Say: Trouble Justifying Automation Investments? Talk to Operations.” Nasby, G. (2013). ISA InTech, July/August 2013. pp. 82 (pdf, link)
- “Automating for Smart Water.” Nasby, G. (2013). WaterBlog. Water Environment Federation. June 27, 2013. (pdf, link)
- “Integrating Packaged Equipment.” Nydam, T. and Nasby, G. (2013). ISA InTech, Sept/Oct 2013 issue. pp. 32-34. (pdf, link)
- “Using Process Flow Sheets as Communication Tools.” Nasby, G. (2012). Chemical Engineering Progress, American Institute of Chemical Engineers. October 2012 issue. pp. 36-44. (pdf, link)
- “Control System Failure Survival Strategies.” Nasby, G. (2011). Control Engineering, Nov 2011, pp. P14-P16. (pdf, online-version, link)
- “SCADA Standardization.” Nasby, G. and Phillips, M. (2011). ISA InTech, May/June 2011. pp. 18-22. (pdf, link)
Standards/Technical Reports Co-Authored:
- ISA-TR18.2.4-2012: “Advanced and Enhanced Alarm Methods.” Technical Report, International Society of Automation. Co-author. (info, preview, buy-copy)
- ISA-TR18.2.6-2012: “Alarm Design for Batch and Discrete Processes.” Technical Report, International Society of Automation. Co-author. (info, preview, buy-copy)
- ISA-TR18.2.3-2015: “Basic Alarm Design.” Technical Report, International Society of Automation. Co-author. (info, preview, buy-copy)
- ANSI/ISA-101.01-2015: “Human Machine Interfaces for Process Automation Systems.” Standard, International Society of Automation. Co-author. (info, preview, buy-copy)